I've been super busy with school work this past week so I never got around to putting up a post about my awesome weekend visiting my sister! Last weekend my mom and I drove down to stay with my dad Friday night. We had a great time and my dad made one of my favorite foods: stuffed mushrooms! He's an amazing cook and I definitely miss his cooking. After playing with my dog, Sasha, for a few hours we all got exhausted and went to bed. The next morning we took the 2 1/2 hour drive from my dad's house to Evansville, Indiana where University of Southern Indiana is. That is where my sister is a freshman! It's soo weird that she's in college now!
We had a relaxing day filled with a LOT of food and a LOT of shopping. I got a few new sweaters (you can never have too much) and some jeans. I also got an awesome new headband for the winter to keep my ears warm from Target! Emma had to make a paddle for one of her sister's in her house since she's officially in Alpha Sigma Alpha! She's soo excited! I got in the mood to do an arts and crafts too so I just painted a pumpkin that is actually really cute! After I finished with mine, I helped her with the paddle. It turned out really good! Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it..
We had a great, successful family weekend! Definitely was hard leaving but we had a great time and can't wait for next year's family weekend!!
The month of October puts everyone in a great mood. One of the main reasons for this is because of Halloween!! This is actually my favorite holiday so I'm a little biased haha. I love dressing up and I really go all out. Halloween decorations are some of my favorite things to shop for! They're all soo fun and I love everything about it! Ky, however, absolutely HATES Halloween and refuses to ever dress up. We'll see if I can get him to change his mind. Here are a few of my favorite Halloween costumes that I've seen in the past. I hope they will help give you all some ideas for costumes!
These pictures are from this past weekend. I know it's not Halloween yet but you have to love multiple Halloween parties! This means many different outfits! I went as goth, my roommate went as a playboy bunny... (yeah idk), and then 2 other people went as Cosmo and Wanda from The Fairly Odd Parents! How funny?! For my look I did heavy dark brown eye shadow and black eyeliner for the eyes. For my lips I actually used eyeliner and then put on lip gloss to make it shine! For my outfit I just wore combat boots, black high waisted jeans, and a black crop top. For the chocker I cut the top part off of black tights!
These were Halloween costumes from my Freshman year (right) and Sophomore year (left) in college. Freshman year I went as a cat and my friend went as a school girl. I just used eyeliner for the whiskers, pink lipstick for my nose, and did the cat eye look with my eyeliner on my eyes. For the paws I cut the fingertips off of a pair of gloves from CVS or Walgreens. The cat ears and cat tail (not shown) are from a Halloween store. My sophomore year I went as batman. I'm obsessed with Batman. For this look I got the leggings with mesh on them from Charlotte Russe. The shirt and cape came as a pack from either Spencers or Hot Topic. For the face mask I actually used black eyeliner to draw the Batman symbol and then colored it all in with eyeliner as well. Eyelids, eyebrows, skin and all. I actually use baby whips to take off my makeup because I feel as though they're more natural and softer for the skin.
Here are some costume ideas for younger kids! These are my cousins that I'm obsessed with. They're the cutest things. This year is on the left and last year is on the right. I couldn't find a good pic of Brody's costume from last year. Last year Leighton went as Mr. Funny Bones. It's one of his favorite characters from whatever movie it's from haha. I think it would be cool to spice it up a bit and spray paint all of the white bones with glow in the dark paint. That will definitely make it easy for you to find your kids in the dark while trick-or-treating! This year Brody is going as Maleficent from the new movie Maleficent. For the makeup her mom used a sparkly, purple eyeshadow and a darker, purple eyeliner and winged it out like the horns on her head. For Leighton, he's going as a stormtrooper from Star Wars. Such a little guy costume. Loving these kids so much and always love seeing what they come up with for Halloween costumes!
What are you guys dressing up as for Halloween??
This past weekend was my Fall Break at Indiana University. Like always, it's a chance for me to go home and see the family and Ky. I had a great weekend with everyone! Kyle's sister, Dani, drove me home because she is a senior at Indiana University! I love going home with her because we get to catch up and we get along really well! She's the best! Her friend from Georgia, Shayna, came with us like she always does for Fall Break. We got home super late on Thursday so I basically just went to sleep to prepare for the rest of the weekend. Driving sure does tire you out!
Friday I spent the day catching up on some stuff for my blog. I don't think I've told you guys yet but I was offered to write for this awesome blog called Blog Guard! You should all really check it out! My first post went live this past week! It's great for college students, high school students, or recent college graduates! It is basically all about making yourself a better person and being healthy while spending your lives! How awesome is that?! After I finished my post for this coming week I went to get my eyebrows waxed. Let me tell you, they for sure needed to be done. I don't know how I went 2 months without getting them done! I only waited that long because I don't trust anyone else to wax them so I had to wait until the next time I was going home. After that I took the train into the city to spend the night with Ky in Chicago. We had a lot of fun and basically just relaxed the entire time. Of course we watched some Seinfeld (they're obsessed) as well as some baseball. Does anyone actually enjoy watching baseball on TV?!? We went to our favorite restaurant in Wrigleyville which was obviously sushi. We're both extremely obsessed with sushi except we have to watch what we chose with me being allergic to gluten and Ky allergic to tuna (as well as everything else you could think of). The sushi was once again amazing and we are excited for when I come in town again to go back to Oh Fusion!
Saturday was a lot of fun as well. After waking up, Ky and I went to breakfast at one of our other favorite cafe's called Horizon Cafe. I got a Mediterranean skillet and Ky got eggs and hash browns. It was their 10th anniversary so they went back to the prices that they had when they opened in 2004. Our entire meal was 13 dollars!! How crazy is that?! We were shocked because we had soo much food for only 13 bucks! They also had my favorite tea to drink (Tazo Zen)! After making our way back to the suburbs around 3ish, my mom picked us up from the train to finish getting ready for my family event. We drove about 45 minutes to a farm called Richardson Farm. It the largest corn maze in America! It's awesome there! You basically rent out a bonfire area and bring food and just have fun with your friends or family! This was our 2nd year going back and we will continue to in the future. This year we finished the corn maze in an hour and a half (last year it was 2 and a half hours....). The corn maze is different every year. Last year it was shaped as the Beatles and this year it was shaped for the 200th anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner! It's pretty amazing! This also means that I accomplished one of the things on my October Goals list! Yay!! We had amazing food and had a lot of fun! I love spending time with my cousins and it's great to get to see them when I'm home from school!
Sunday morning was pretty hectic making sure that I had everything that I needed before heading back to school. I got to spend a little more time with Ky and his family because we all went to Walker Brothers for breakfast. I was amazing! My mom was also invited so she got to, finally, meet Kyle's dad! We all had a blast and I had amazing chocolate chip gluten free pancakes! I had a great weekend and wish I could've stayed home for a few more days. 3 days at home is such a tease when I'll be home for a little over a week for Thanksgiving break in a little over a month! I can't wait to see everyone again for that! How was your weekends?? Did you do anything exciting??
These are things that I want to do before I turn 25! This will all (hopefully) be done by February 26th, 2019!
1. Get 200 followers on my blog
2. Get a puppy
3. Graduate college
4. Get a real full time job
5. Get my high school abs back
6. Be certified to go skydiving by myself
7. Visit Europe
8. Meet my grandfather
9. Go to graduate school for Marine Biology
10. Learn to meditate
11. Be an audience member on The Ellen Show
12. Run a half marathon
13. Visit New York City
14. Make 10 Pinterest recipes
15. Take a picture every day for a year
16. Participate in habitat for humanity
17. Raise 5,000 for a charity
18. Learn to bartend
19. Learn to golf
20. Ice stake in Millennium Park in Chicago during the winter time
21. Eat a meal at RPM in Chicago
22. Unplug for a week
23. Learn to make homemade hummus
24. Donate blood
25. Do paddle board yoga
I've been nominated for the Liebster Award!! If you don't know what it is, it's an award that goes around the blog community for new bloggers or bloggers under 200 followers. Aka me! It's a great way create a larger traffic to your blogs and officially join the blog community! Once you're nominated you get to nominate other blogs and answer a few questions. How fun!! Thank you Corinne for nominating me for this award! You're the best and I love your blog! Make sure you check it out everyone!
Here are the rules:
1. Post 11 facts about yourself
2. Answer the 11 questions provided by the person that nominated you
3. Create 11 questions for your nominees to answer
4. Choose up to 11 bloggers to nominate and link them in the post
5. Let your nominees know that they've been tagged and no tag-backs
6. Only nominate blogs with under 200 followers
My 11 random facts!!
1. I've been dancing since I was 2 years old. I'm obsessed with dancing and watching dances! I literally could watch a dance competition all day long (and I have many times)! I was captain of my Poms (dance) team my senior year of high school and I dislocated my knee and after state I don't dance as much as before (fear of dislocating it again).
2. I have the biggest obsession with Ellen Degeneres. Like an obnoxious obsession. I literally send about 8 videos of her show a day to Ky while he is at work. He always says how he sometimes thinks I love her more than him haha oops!
3. My family is one of the most important things to me. I have a large amount of cousins and I'm close with basically every single one of them. We're always together and or constantly texting or snap chatting. We even have a Facebook group!
4. One of my favorite foods is curry! I'm LOVE the yellow curry with tofu in it. Theres a little restaurant called Little Tibet here in Bloomington, IN. If you're ever in this area you have to try it!
5. I have a crazy addiction to Starbucks. But like who doesn't these days. I literally drink it twice a day sometimes more and am officially on my way to getting my gold card! Free drinks?? Um of course!
6. Volunteering is a huge part of my life. I dedicate a lot of my time to volunteer work. I love being able to help someone that needs help or just someone to hang out with. I also don't just stick with one charity, I love to give a little to multiple ones.
7. I'm allergic to roses. This is a super random one but I actually really am allergic! It sucks cause I can never get roses from anyone. I wish it was just like a little rash kind of thing but it actually affects my breathing.
8. I love hiking and being outdoors. However, I HATE camping in a tent. It's soo gross and just not my thing. Hiking is amazing and a great workout. It's especially great if you get to see a great view while hiking aka my recent trip to Israel.
9. Audrey Hepburn is my favorite female icon. She's beautiful, has a powerful message, and Breakfast at Tiffany's is just all around amazing.
10. If you didn't know before, I'm in a long distance relationship. Ky and I just had our 1 year (YAY!!) and I'm just head over heels. Luckily we're not long distance when I'm home from school (he's out of college).
11. A little less than 5 months till I turn 21!!!
11 answers to Corinne's questions
1. Why did you decide to start blogging? I wanted to be able to help people. I write a lot about helpful tips in college, health, and just random personal things. I love being able to talk to people and share the things that are going on in my life with others.
2. What do you hope to accomplish with your blog? I hope to accomplish creating many relationships through the blog community. I think it's a great thing that people care about others when they barely know them.
3. If you could only eat only one food prepared the same way for the rest of your life, what would it be? I would definitely eat an avocado sushi roll forever. I love avocados and having that protein plus some carbs from the rice would be semi healthy haha.
4. Cats or dogs? Sorry Corrine but I'm going to have to go with dogs. I have a legit obsession with German Shepards and Shiba Inus!
5. Where do you see yourself in five years? I can see myself being married and having a child or two. I know I'm young but I want to have a big family (4-5 kids). However, I will definitely keep working after maternity leave.
6. What was your dream job when you were a kid? This is actually kind of crazy but I wanted to be a marine biologist. The crazy part is that I'm actually studying to be a dietician for marine animals. Kind of like what I wanted as a kid!!
7. Who is your favorite Disney princess? Ariel from The Little Mermaid! How can you not want to be a mermaid!?
8. What's your favorite band? My favorite band is Fleetwood Mac. I LOVE Stevie Nicks!
9. Do you use Tinder? I actually don't use it. I don't really understand why people like it soo much
10. Who inspires you? It's really hard for me to pick just one person to inspire me. I honestly can't pick one. I get inspired in so many ways through music, books, quotes, movies, and real-life people!
11. What's your favorite DCOM movie? I'd have to go with either Halloweentown or Motocross. I've always wanted to race motorcycles cause my dad used to race them. I also LOVE Halloween so basically any Halloween movies are my favorites.
Payton from Ramblings of a Wild One
Caitlin from The Pearl & The Pilot
Ellie from Eat, Play, Live
Alyssa from Alyssa J Freitas
11 questions for my nominees
1. What is your favorite vacation place?
2. If you had to save one thing from a fire, what would it be?
3. What do you think is the most important thing in life?
4. Since Halloween is coming up, what's your favorite Halloween costume that you've been in the past?
5. What's your favorite book to read?
6. Candles or incents?
7. What is your favorite type of date night?
8. Who is your idol?
9. Texting or calling?
10. What's your favorite TV show?
11. What made you decide to blog?
This was a lot of fun! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!!
This past summer I went to Israel for 10 days. I went through an organization called Birthright, which is a program that pays for you (if you’re Jewish) to visit the state of Israel. It’s a pretty amazing program and brings about 40,000 people all over the world to Israel. I went in June and it was the best time to go! The weather there was perfect. Obviously it was hot but it wasn’t humid like it is in Indiana or other places in the United States. I went with my friend that I met from school Emily. We had an amazing time learning about the traditions, eating authentic Israeli foods, and traveling through Israel ranging from the Golan Heights in the north to the Negev Desert in the south. There were 36 Americans on the trip and 8 Israeli soldiers that were finishing up their time in the IDF. I loved having the soldiers on my trip because they made me realize how similar they are from a typical young adult like us. I was the only person from the Midwest on my trip and most of the other people were from North Texas or New York. Then there were a few people from random places in the United States. We also had 2 group leaders from the states, a leader from Israel, and a medic/bodyguard from Israel as well.
The shopping is amazing there and learning how to haggle was a little hard for me to pick up on. I mostly had the soldiers bargain with the people in the Shuk, or market. One of my favorite meals there was obviously the hummus, falafel, and pita. How can you not go to Israel and not try this amazing dish!? Most of our days were filled with learning about the cities and the history of Israel. We visited Jerusalem and went to the Western Wall where we each put a special note in the wall for good luck. We went to Tel Aviv to visit the market and hang out at the beach and the Mediterranean Sea. We went up to the Golan Heights and climbed Mt. Arbel and stayed in a Kibbutz.
While we were up in the Golan Heights we also visited Mt. Bental, which overlooks Syria. It was beautiful up there and had the most amazing coffee ever! (Coffee in Israel is kind of like a slushy). While we were making our way down the mountain I slipped and cut my knee open very badly. After that I spent a lot of my days having to bandage my knee up and limp my way through hiking or through the streets of Israel. A few days after I cut my knee we had to climb Mount Masada at 5am to see the sunrise. Going up the mountain wasn’t bad at all and was beautiful. Going down, however, was very hard on my knee because I had to put harder pressure and take my time so I didn’t fall again. Our medic, Eden, stayed with me every step of the way and even offered to carry me down the mountain. I, of course, declined not wanting to be “that girl” who had to be carried down.
After we finished that hike we went to the Dead Sea. The Dead Sea is the lowest point in the world and is made up of 33% salt. Because there was soo much salt, I was not allowed to go into it because of my knee. Apparently the salt would make my knee hurt soo bad that I would faint from the pain. After hearing this I said “no way” and had a foot treatment instead by Doctor Fish who eat the dead skin off your feet. It was the weirdest feeling in the world and was tickled the entire time. My feet felt great afterwards though!
The entire trip was amazing and I am trying to go back this upcoming summer! Hopefully I can be a group leader for a few trips the next few years! If anyone wants to know more about my trip let me know! I obviously can’t write about everything in one post!
Hey guys!! I hope everyone’s week went well!! It’s been a pretty hectic week for me with my classes actually going into material after syllabus week. I’m sorry I’m a day late with my post. I was supposed to surprise Ky this weekend and then it fell through so it was crazy yesterday! Luckily though he might be coming to IU next weekend to visit me!! I’m super excited about that! When I get stressed out I like to have a little (what I call) puppy therapy. It's the best thing to do when you're feeling down!Soo Kyle and I had this whole talk the other day about our pretend futures. We kind of just threw around a bunch of ideas for how we’d want our lives to be if we could create them now. The main point we made during this conversation was about dogs (obviously). Lets just say we’re both obsessed with dogs! I was looking on my Pinterest feed (which I tend to do a lot more than I should) and I saw the cutest dog in the world. It was a black and nude Shiba Inu!! I became obsessed right away and had to send a picture of the cute puppy to Kyle. We decided on the name Shadow because I’ve always wanted to name a dog Shadow ever since I was little. I was extremely excited when I found out that he loved that name as well! The conversation ended up with us saying how in 2 years that we’ll get a puppy together! I was a bit upset about it considering I would love to get a dog like now. However, it makes more sense seeing that I’m at college in Indiana and he lives/works full time (since he’s 23 and out of college) in Chicago where I’m originally from.
After seeing the pictures of the puppies that we fell in love with I just had to show you all what they looked like. They’re absolutely adorable!! My question for everyone is to tell me about your pets that you have or if you don’t have a pet, then what would you like to have??
Today someone posted a status on Facebook that her biggest fear came true today. She got stuck in the middle of a car wash and apparently is super claustrophobic. That sounds awful!! It got me thinking about what my biggest fear is. That is a hard one for me to think of because I tend to have a lot of fears. However, if I have to pinpoint one fear I’d have to go with birds.
I’m not afraid of one or two birds… just a big flock of birds. If you’ve seen the movie Divergent with Shailene Woodly, then you’ll know that the scene with the birds (not trying to ruin any part of the movie with anymore details for those who haven’t seen it yet) freaked me out. I watched the movie with my boyfriend, Kyle, over spring break and basically had a panic attack while watching it. I definitely had to close my eyes during that scene. I think I got my fear from having to watch the movie The Birds in class my senior year of high school. If you haven’t seen it, it is basically about a big flock of birds that attack people and kill them. I also have to add that in both movies the birds were crows… soo gross!
I realized how bad my fear was last year when I would walk to my apartment after class around 6pm. At that time there was always AT LEAST 100 crows flying over the Union to move onto (what I assume) is where they spend the night or something. I always had to look down and try not to look up at the birds. They’re scary!! And who would want 100 something birds flying over their heads! Hopefully no one would haha
So I would like to know what everyone else’s fears are! I’m sure many people share the some of the same fears!
This post is a little different then my normal postings. This is because this is a terrible thing that occurs more often than one would think. I personally think the eeriness of the photo above is a perfect representation on how everyone here at IU has been feeling since last night. Last night a sorority girl in Zeta committed suicide last night in her room. I personally didn't know her but I know a lot of people who were friends with her. It is a devastating thing to hear happen let alone have it happen to someone who was affected personally. The hard part about what typically happens is that you never see it coming. Most of the people who commit suicide seem happy or at least not depressed before they take their lives. Nobody ever knows what someone is going through. People put on faces all of the time to act or look a way that they want to show people. However, it's not always how they are actually feeling. This happens all of the time. It is also one of the heaviest burdens to have. It can really affect how your day is going to go. Everyday you wake up can be a whole knew mood and can change throughout the day. Depression affects 17 million people of all ages, races, and economic backgrounds.
Sometimes giving someone and unexpected hug or a gift shows that you're thinking about their feelings and care about them. There are times when people are down and feel like no one cares for them and get in a depressed episode. This is why I challenge everyone today to do a deed that will make someone feel better. Also if anyone knows of someone who is showing signs of depression or signs that they might attempt a suicidal action, please tell someone. Tell their parents or their kids or a friend. ANYONE who can help them. If you know of someone who is going to attempt suicide or you, yourself, feel like you want to attempt suicide please talk to someone or call the suicide hotline for help.
This is soo important and I want everyone to know that if you ever need to talk about anything or need advice I'm always here to talk to you. Send me a message at anytime if you need to talk. I love everyone!
Kyle and I have been dating for almost 1 year now! YAY soo exciting!! However, when I'm at school (most of the year) we are in a long distance relationship. When I'm not at school we live just a train ride away from each other (he's in the city and I'm in the suburbs). The school year is starting up again on Monday and that means it's time for me to leave. I know super depressing. But it seriously is!
Last night was our last night together. We had a great time! We went to Flat Top Grill for dinner. If you haven't been there before it is kind of like a stir fry kind of restaurant. It's super yummy and has these amazing Roti Prata Bread which is their signature item!! (I'm gluten-free and can't eat this but Kyle loves it)! What is also great about this place is you can keep going up for more food and only pay a flat fee!!
Anyways... after we had dinner at Flat Top Grill we went to see a play with his family friend. We saw the play Intimate Apparel at the Athenaeum Theatre. I've only gone to a few plays (I wish I could go to more) and this happens to be one of the plays I have seen before. I took a theatre class my freshman year of college for my gen eds and this play happens to be one of the plays that was mandatory to see. How crazy is that?! The 2nd time seeing the play was sooo much better than the first time!
After seeing the play that was 2 1/2 hours long (yes, it was that long), Kyle and I went back home to his apartment because it was late and he had work in the morning. I was completely fine when I went to bed... waking up was when it all hit me. Kyle had to get ready for work and we had to say our goodbyes. Let me tell you, I've never cried as much in the past as I did this morning. I literally had tears streaming down my face and Kyle just held me until he really had to leave (stayed home a little longer than normal and was getting late for work). It was a super hard goodbye knowing that I wouldn't be seeing him for 2 months!! I'm sure I'll see him sometime in between that time but that's the only planned break that I have on my schedule so far. Now that I'm back to long distance I'll start posting tips about how to make long distance work as well as other random relationship stuff!!